[openbeos] Re: Singleuser vs Multiuser

  • From: Mark Hellegers <M.H.Hellegers@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 20:16:08 +0100

> Michael Phipps wrote:
>
>> But you haven't answered the fundamental question.
>> Is this so that Mom and Dad and the kids can share a computer?
>> Or is this so 100 different people can all telnet into a machine and
>> be ABSOLUTLY SURE that no one can stomp anyone else?
>>
>> Those are 2 *MASSIVELY* different projects with different requirements.
>
>I would like to add that I have yet to hear a sound justification for why
>OpenBeOS should have hard-core UNIX-style multi-user capabilities. There
>are quite a number of very solid FREE server OSs out there; I can't think
>of what we would bring to the table that they don't already provide --
>BeOS is a desktop/workstation OS, fer cryin' out loud.

There are actually quite a few things BeOS brings to the table that the
server OS's don't provide. Like the attribute support and the easy to
understand system. I'm using BeOS as a server and it works fine, as long
as the net_server doesn't crash.
Also, real multi-user is more than just a server gimmick.
It means that if someone hacks into your machine through whichever port is
open, they won't immediately have access to your entire computer.

Mark Hellegers