[openbeos] Re: ShowImage "Mirror" Operations

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 18:02:17 +0200 CEST

"Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In most cases I would want ShowImage to stay true to it's name and
> just
> display whatever image I have as quickly as possible. I have to
> disagree with the "most people will want some basic editing
> capabilities" for two reasons:
> 1. There are not only photos in JPEG format. There are just as many
> screenshots, diagrams, webgraphics and such where removing red eyes
> is
> not really an issue.
> 2. I will edit my photos once but may view them hundreds of times
> later. I would therefore not like to slow down the process of viewing
> hundred times just for this one time editing phase.

Sounds convincing to me.

> As a viewer ShowImage has to be able to display, scale to fit
> (instead
> of the two menu itmes shirnk to window and zoom to window), rotate
> and
> maybe flip and clip an image. Anything else (invert, dither?) and

Indeed, I would remove invert/dither as well.

> especially photo editing makes no sense in a viewer IMHO. In that
> regard I really like what the preview thing in windows does. It
> provides a button "edit picture" which then launches an editing
> application where you can do whatever (sure using mspaint is not the
> most sensible thing to do but the concept is nice). I would rather
> like
> an edit shortcut (ctrl-e) and a menu item in ShowImage than having
> all
> the extra stuff built in. But this is obviously one of those things
> that we'll never really agree on I guess...

I would be all in favour for this, but you're more or less requesting
missing feature here: right now, there is only the B_OPEN "verb" for
BMimeType::GetPreferredApp(), IOW ShowImage wouldn't have a clue which
application to choose, it would need to have its own settings for this
which I wouldn't like. I would even prefer a "Open With..." like menu
over that.

Bye,
   Axel.