[openbeos] Re: ShowImage "Mirror" Operations

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:09:48 +0200 CEST

Just to post my two cents too...

> I'm curious -- what are you going to do with the image while it's
> rotating? Blocking does *not* mean "system-wide blocking", but the
> app
> itself.

The example that Jonas brought up is a very good one I think:

> It should be possible to move to the next or previous image,
> or to quit ShowImage entirely, without having to wait for the
> processed _display_ of the image to finish.

I have folders filled with large photos. If I want to just skip some of
them I will have to close ShowImage use the Tracker to navigate down
and reopen ShowImage. This is because when I browse with ShowImage it
will insist on loading all of the images and will then hang for some
time. This is quite annoying.

In most cases I would want ShowImage to stay true to it's name and just
display whatever image I have as quickly as possible. I have to
disagree with the "most people will want some basic editing
capabilities" for two reasons:
1. There are not only photos in JPEG format. There are just as many
screenshots, diagrams, webgraphics and such where removing red eyes is
not really an issue.
2. I will edit my photos once but may view them hundreds of times
later. I would therefore not like to slow down the process of viewing a
hundred times just for this one time editing phase.

As a viewer ShowImage has to be able to display, scale to fit (instead
of the two menu itmes shirnk to window and zoom to window), rotate and
maybe flip and clip an image. Anything else (invert, dither?) and
especially photo editing makes no sense in a viewer IMHO. In that
regard I really like what the preview thing in windows does. It
provides a button "edit picture" which then launches an editing
application where you can do whatever (sure using mspaint is not the
most sensible thing to do but the concept is nice). I would rather like
an edit shortcut (ctrl-e) and a menu item in ShowImage than having all
the extra stuff built in. But this is obviously one of those things
that we'll never really agree on I guess...

On the topic of lossless rotation: In my opinion it violates the idea
of Translators to implement such a function for a specific format in a
single application. But since there is no API for this in the
TranslationKit this solution would probably make the most sense. Nice
would be if we wouldn't have to integrate this into ShowImage itself
but just launch an external command line app that does the job. Later
on (R2 I guess) we will have to add an API to the TranslationKit for
rotating images and making thumbnails. The one for exactly this case
and the other if we ever decide to show image thumbnails in Tracker.

BTW: I would also prefer "Flip Left to Right" and "Flip Top to Bottom"

Regards
Michael