[openbeos] Re: ShowImage "Mirror" Operations

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:32:46 +0000

I quite like the Windows Image Viewer method - an edit button that launches a
seperate app to do your editting. If it's in a slideshow you'll need to exit
from slideshow mode anyway, so it's not really a huge amount more hassle.

I really wouldn't be against rotating actual image data in showimage, providing
it's lossless and doesn't nuke EXIF tags or whatever.

One reason for me opposing additional ShowImage functionality is that a
PhotoManager application for doing all the edits people have talked about, in a
similar vein to Apperture, is one of the little "interesting projects" I've
been thinking about writing. It's unlikely to ever get done though and without
it ShowImage is the obvious place to request these new features. I think
ShowImage's current menu-only UI is already a little stretched though, if much
more functionality is added a toolbar would really be useful.

Simon

> From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
> Date: 2006/04/20 Thu AM 11:54:34 GMT
> To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [openbeos] Re: ShowImage "Mirror" Operations
>
> > I consider most of the requests of things to add to showimage to only be
> > applicable to photos, and therefore a standalone app for simple photo
> > manipulation would be good. I'm also thinking ahead a bit to RAW support
> > and the other things that make photos unique - the ability to losslessly
> > alter white balance and things. I quite like the idea behind Apple's
> > Aperture (never used it, just seen the screenshots) - an app expressly
> > designed for photo manipulation recognising the source as a photo rather
> > than just a grid of pixels.
>
> The problem is when you run your slide show in ShowImage and then
> unexpectedly come across a photo that you need to correct in some way. Then
> you need to launch that other app and that's what is going to be annoying. I
> vote for making ShowImage handle photos, for the simple reason that most
> people are going to use it that way. What kind of images are you going to
> look at with ShowImage that are not photos?! I don't want to give ShowImage a
> more sophisticated GUI than it already has. I would even remove stuff from
> it. I would only change a feature that it already has to be more useful!
>
> And because the plug-in thing has come up - please not that plug-ins is the
> stuff that makes your app load slower. Just look at Refraction versus
> WonderBrush. And WonderBrush could start even faster if it wasn't using
> add-ons for its languages.
>
> Best regards,
> -Stephan

Email sent from www.ntlworld.com