[openbeos] Re: Shells, Usabiltity, etc.

  • From: Timothy Covell <timothy.covell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Frank D. Engel, Jr." <fde101@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 18:13:35 -0500

On Tuesday 30 April 2002 16:52, Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:
[snip]

> Note: Personally, I use bash, but I cannot see the sense in eliminating
> this option.  This is like trying to kill a window manager because it
> is not truly needed.  Perhaps from the perspective of a distribution,
> this may make sense.  However, some users might prefer it, so the
> ability to add it on...

My point in this thread is that (Open)BeOS is great because it is
well written and easy to use.   Programs like (t)csh and sendmail
are hold-overs from the bad old days.   If you want them, by all
means get them.  But _please_ do not make them part of the standard
distribution.

IMHO, one of the biggest problems with OSes today (after the assinine
M$ hedgemony) is the fact that the major vendors are afraid of change
and continue to support old and creaky products.  The real problem is
that 9/10 companies are afraid to use anything that is not part of the
"official" OS.   I cannot tell you how many Sendmail/Postfix, Vi/Vim,
Rsh/SSh, etc. battles that I've lost due to this sillyness.   Usability,
security, and profitablity suffer when companies ram lousy products down
their employees throats because they are unwilling to allow better and
free products to be used instead.    And, that's why (Open)BeOS and
Linux are my prefered OSes because they are not afraid of change.

[And even the Linux guru's are guilty of this attitude to some degree.
Linus et al usually refuse to even consider anything without a programmer
first producing a well integrated and working module.  And Linus has
gone on record stating that he doesn't give a flying fig about any
other operating systems (so, he develops with blinders on...)]

Is it any wonder that Solaris can't even remotely compete with M$
on the desktop?!?  No.  Because even though M$ is crooked, Sun
hasn't done anything interesting with Solaris in almost a decade.
Gosh, it almost took an act of God for Solaris 8 to include the 10+
year old and very useful Perl programming language!

So, _please_ let's ensure that OpenBeOS never gets that stale.

tim