[haiku] Setting up Haiku to book Haiku through PXE

  • From: Olivier Coursiere <olivier.coursiere@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 01:14:50 +0100

Hi,

While it is already possible to serve haiku image with remote_disk_server, it is still necessary to include a third party OS to setup a complete solution to boot Haiku through PXE. The two missing pieces are a DHCP and a TFTP server.

Until now !

I was lurking for a solution for a long time, and i finally found dnsmasq (http://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html). It is a "lightweight, easy to configure DNS forwarder and DHCP server".

It also include a TFTP server.

I have started a port to Haiku and here is a preliminary package : http://olivier.coursiere.free.fr/download/dnsmasq-2.46_haiku.zip. Only the DHCP and the TFTP servers were somewhat tested.

Maybe, we could include this tool in the Haiku source tree one day, as it could be the basis of a usefull tool for booths and install party in the futur : with an easy to use GUI and maybe some change in remote_disk_server to serve many machines at the same time, we could setup an install server machine. Then, end users could test, install and enjoy Haiku in a few minutes on their own hardware. On supported hardware, it could be a better user experience than a live CD.

Olivier