[openbeos] Re: "Send a brief introduction to the Haiku mailing list"

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 18:15:03 -0500

On 2/23/07, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Aren't you contradicting yourself there a bit? :-)
Anyway, I wasn't used to multi-threaded programming at all, and had no
problems adopting the Be API. I liked it very much from the beginning
on, though it's much easier if you learn the basic guidelines for multi
-threaded programming before; it's not that complex once you understand
it :-)

Indeed, my experience is similar. Plus the reality is that
multi-threading is a necessity for any serious application programmer.
Users won't tolerate applications that lock up during long operations,
windows that affect each other's operation, etc.

Plus with most modern CPUs having dual-cores you are literally wasting
your computing resources by not using multiple threads. The BeOS
design and API essentially force you to use multiple threads even if
you aren't planning to. In most cases this isn't an issue, and
BAutoLock solves most of the other problems.

But I won't argue that it is easy solving deadlocks or other
multi-threaded bugs. These have caused me many a cursing session at
times. But most can be diagnosed and solved by relaxing, taking a step
back and thinking logically. Books on multi-threaded programming can
help on this. I took a course in college on Java threading and still
have the book to refer to when needed :)

Ryan