[openbeos] Scripting

  • From: "Ithamar R. Adema" <ithamar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 21:22:58 +0200

Hello,

For the communication between print_server and the preference app /
BPrintJob API I have been using standard scripting. This is really nice to
do (if raw speed isn't an issue), as you can also "see" the protocol
documentation by (in my case) typing "hey print_server GETSUITES", this
dumps all supported scripting vocabulary in the Terminal as output. This
helps keeping docs up-to-date, and is easy for people needing specific
functionality in shell scripts (i.e. selecting a specific printer as
default, for example).

On another note, wouldn't it be a good idea to keep tools like hey &
stubgen in our CVS tree? I'm pretty sure some mods will be made to them for
OpenBeOS specific functionality.

Regards,

Ithamar R. Adema
Information Engineering Associates Ltd