[haiku] Re: Scheduler (was: Re: Re: Multi-track recording and compositing)

Urias McCullough wrote:

I have a bad case of the problem where the system sometimes simply
freezes up for a few seconds. It is noticeable because the entire
desktop stops redrawing (mouse still works) and, for example, the
Deskbar clock stops updating (I have show seconds enabled) and if
Activity Monitor is running it also stops for the same period. My first
theory about this was a scheduler problem, followed by a general IO
problem and a memory allocation problem. it seems that although our
scheduler is not shining right now, it is not responsible for what I
see. Here is a run of the test where I performed a SVN up in the middle

That almost sounds like the issue I have with my core 2 duo box, but
I'm almost certain it's caused by a faulty Seagate/Maxtor disk. It
happens for me on Linux as well, and googling for disk-related issues
seems to indicate there have been similar issues with "larger" Seagate
disks in the last couple years.

FWIW, I have a similar problem on my nforce-based fake-raid5 Windows
XP 64bit system where the three 320gb Seagate disks  go to la-la land
for a few seconds sometimes causing Windows to hang solid while I
wait...

Someone suggested to me a firmware update on the disks, but barring
that, all of these disks are headed for the junk heap soon.

This does not seem to be my case. I have no problems with either Linux or Windows in the same machine. Of course it *COULD* be a problem with our IDE/AHCI drivers.

-Bruno