[openbeos] Re: Ruby+GTK2 for Haiku?

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:43:30 -0500

On 2/15/07, Jackson, Anthony <ajackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm also a Ruby fan, having fairly recently 'converted' from PHP.

I'm secretly hoping for Ruby + GTK2 + glade to eventually be supported
on Haiku-OS, because then the utilities I'm writing will automatically
be cross platform between Win32/Linux/Haiku.

I know Ruby will be supported, because if no one else does the needed
porting, I'll do it. The "porting" is probably just some updating here
and there and fixing any BeOS hacks which Haiku fixed, like select
support.

As for GTK2 and glade, I imagine someone at some point may find them
useful and port them over. But I eventually would like to make Ruby
bindings for the BeOS/Haiku API (Raiku, Haikuby?), which I think would
be very cool. Then you could make BeOS/Haiku native apps all in Ruby.
But there may be some gotchas hidden in this approach that I will
discover.

I understand that Ruby is available for BeOS on bebits (with the comment
"for Zeta 1.0 and newer versions"), but I've never tried it under R5,
and I doubt it comes with GTK bindings.

The base Ruby seems to work fine in R5 (I compiled it myself), though
I had some trouble with zlib when I tried to use it.

Ryan