[haiku] Re: Reducing paper waste at conferences

Hey!

2009/12/18 Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> -- Ingo Weinhold, on Thu, 17 Dec 2009 13:29:34 +0100:
>> discussion on something more concrete, like how the Haiku project can
>> improve
>> its environmental footprint is totally on topic IMO, and I'm glad you
>> brought
>> it up.
>
> I'm sorry to bring this thread back on topic... :)
>
> First off, I haven't been on a big conference in ages and never manned
> a booth, so this idea may not be practical in reality. How should I
> know...
>

> Today many people, and on these conferences probably *all* people, have
> their smartphones with them. How about we set up a sign (and pointing
> it out when talking with a guy): "Get our info via bluetooth, mms or
> email". Then, instead of handing out a printed flyer, the boothee and
> the interested visitor whip out their phone and send over a PDF.
> Sending via MMS would require a kind of flatrate with your provider,
> otherwise it would by financially prohibitive, I guess.
> I'm fairly ignorant WRT bluetooth. Maybe when Oliver got Haiku's
> bluetooth in shape, the PDF can be broadcasted automatically, so every
> visitor can initiate the transfer on his own? Like the open WLAN idea
> someone posted recently (sorry, can't find who right now).
>
> We can offer to email the info. Make clear that this would be a one-
> time mailing (of course with a link to join a very low traffic
> announcement mailing list to keep uptodate) and the contact will be
> deleted again right away. Use Haiku's People app to have them enter
> their email address themselves (integrating them in a demo (maybe using
> the Group attribute for a live query to show how easily it's all
> deleted :) )) or let the visitor send his contact via phone.
> The advantage of emailing: It's a reminder a few days after the
> conference when their bags of flyers are already in the trash.
>
> And finally, since all these phones have a camera integrated, why not
> have your fellow booth man take a picture of yourself and your visitor
> with his phone/camera in front of the Haiku booth, having him hold up a
> sign with the http://haiku-os.org URL. A day to remember... :)
>

> Anyway, it seems so quaint producing coloured paper and shipping it
> here and there, when everybody has a treky mobile multi media
> communicator in their pocket.
>
> Also, consider that Haiku's focus at the moment is the tech savvy geek
> and developer. We still target the people that are already genuinely
> interested or got interested when visiting the booth. It's not your
> bumbling passing-by enduser.

I like the idea very much, I do not think it is feasible to completely
replace the paper flyers yet, but I would like to work on the
technology (and try to deploy it at Fosdem) to test whether it is a
feasible thing to do.

Let's think about this in another thread someday :-)