[haiku] Re: Reducing paper waste at conferences

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 08:16:20 -0800

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 7:01 AM, Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ingo Weinhold wrote:
>> Hey, calm down, Alex. Nobody called you either (at least as far as I
>> recall). Urias certainly didn't.
>
> Well i'm sorry i recall that. I can take anything but i can't stand mean
> people.

I certainly wasn't referring to you, nor anyone on this list
specifically. I was reflecting on what I deal with on a daily basis
where I live, which often reaches fanaticism levels. I think mean
people are the ones that actually stand at your property line while
accusing you of ruining the world and destroying the environment.

Political issues are a hot point for many people - environmentalism is
a political issue, it's that simple.

Religion was an example of *another* topic that is a hot point, I
wasn't trying to equate this topic to religion, (although I've met my
share of environmentalists who do act like it is - such as my neighbor
who claims she can hear trees scream when they're cut down ;)

My statements were in response to Nicholas' theory that using more
trees is good for the earth (which is actually a theory I've heard
before) followed by Niels' response that it wasn't true (which is the
general consensus otherwise).

Who am I to decide which theory is accurate? Why should we have to
argue over this in the name of Haiku? That's all... I just see this
going in a bad direction.

I'm all for conservation - especially energy, but often times
environmental conservation equates to financial conservation anyway,
so I think we can draw some parallels there and conserve both. On the
other hand, we also can't hide in a hole in the name of saving the
world and never go anywhere, so we must compromise.

Reducing paper is great - I already do this every day by choosing not
to print many things out in the first place. Additionally, I probably
recycle ~1/3 of my waste. I don't disagree with these concepts,
especially since they save money, but when it comes down to arguing
over whether or not reducing paper is better or worse for the
environment, I often have to throw up my hands and give up - and this
is the wrong place to argue about it IMO.

I'm not sure anywhere in any of my statements, did I say that reducing
paper waste was a bad idea - but I do feel it's possibly focusing
effort in the wrong place. Using recycled paper would be great, unless
it's cost prohibitive due to higher prices (which would make me pause
and ask why that is), but I think eliminating fliers for conferences
altogether isn't necessarily going to improve Haiku's marketing
effort. Maybe we can set some rules about how they are handed out.

Anyhow, if I pissed anyone off by suggesting this discussion was a bad
idea, I think I probably proved my point. Sorry about that.

- Urias