[openbeos] Re: Re[2]: OpenBeOS in competition with BeOS

  • From: "Helmar Rudolph" <helmar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:48:03 +0200

Yuri Titov wrote:

> I hate to say this, but it doesnt really matter to me what
> Palm says.  I lost trust in Be a year after it put out R5.  The
>  only good news I will hear is either we get source for BeOS,
> or Palm tells us we can forget about beos.
> I dont want to be debendant on a company again.

I don't hate to say this, but the sooner you (guys) face that you
aren't going anywhere without a proper marketing and support
structure, the better. Conversely, I am under no illusion that
without decent developer support, our initiative is going nowhere.

You may come up with something cool, but I know of a company that
came up with something cool before - the company was called Be,
Inc.. And Be, Inc. in all its coolness went nowhere. Why? Because
in all their coding frenzy they took their eye off the market and
subsequently got killed.

Now I don't know what really motivates you, doing something
open-source, something cool, something to support BeOS, or......
only you can answer this question, but I can tell you that the
more united we appear to Palm, the better for everyone involved.

So, I really don't know how we are dependent in any way on Palm.
If Palm says "No" to the licensing of BeOS, then you will still
do what you are doing. But without the proper marketing and
support you are going the same way as with access to the source
code: nowhere. But while we will certainly find the programmers,
you may not find it easy to find the right marketers or
supporters. Remember: there is so much more to a successful OS
than a cool kernel and some XXX_servers.

In short, it is my current priority to unite all the forces,
because should Palm say Yes -something I am mildly positive
about- we gotta be moving fast. And then there is no time for
farting around or arguing about silly things, because the market
is not waiting for us anymore.

United we stand, divided we fall.

Just my 0.02,

Helmar