[openbeos] Re: R2 on our machines before R1

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 21:26:57 -0400

>Hmm, there seem to be a lot of BONE and Dan0 only apps on BeBits lately.  I
>have a feeling the same thing will happen with OBOS - R2 will be
>unofficially out long before R1 (R2 being the Gcc3.2+ binary incompatible
>version).

The assumption here is that we will have working code first, then BC code next.
That is simply not the case. The pieces that we have now and the pieces that are
coming soon will *PREMIERE* BC. I can certainly understand that people might
well
compile R1 with GCC 3.2. I expect that. I intend to do so myself, if only for
the better
error checking. And that would certainly be a good way to "live on the edge".
It would
also be an interesting way to test whatever package system we come up with - it
would be nice if the package system handled "system config" information nicely.

This is a nice 3rd party-type idea that could be under the OBOS project, if
someone is
interested. I know that this has been brought up before. And it isn't an easy
task. But I think
that it is a rewarding one. I think that a decent package manager would be a
great thing
to have.