[openbeos] Re: R2 on our machines before R1

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 15:13:31 CEST (+0200)

"Solaja, Zenja" <solaja@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> <taken from OSNews and the article by Daniel Switkin>
> <quote>
> I have a strong feeling that OBOS R2 will arrive before R1. Why? It
> is
> common knowledge that the last 10% of code takes 90% of the
> developers time.
> </quote>
>
> Hmm, there seem to be a lot of BONE and Dan0 only apps on BeBits
> lately.  I
> have a feeling the same thing will happen with OBOS - R2 will be
> unofficially out long before R1 (R2 being the Gcc3.2+ binary
> incompatible
> version).

No, sorry, that's stupid - the last 10% usually also take much time
because the other 90% don't make a complete product. Of course, you
could compile R1 with gcc 3 before R1 is ready - but what do you intend
to do with a buggy and incomplete OS?
Surely, you won't just call it R2 and install it on your machine :)

And if someone wants to recompile R1 with gcc 3, he has to live with
the fact that we will break binary compatibility for him only with the
next release. Not all developers are hackers and geeks that have to
live on the edge (no offense :-)).

Adios...
   Axel.