[openbeos] Re: Problems compiling haiku in ubuntu

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 23:35:17 +0100

On 2007-02-21 at 18:34:41 [+0100], Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On 2/21/07, Pablo Barrera Gonzalez <barrera@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I'm new in the list and with haiku. My first thing I have tried was
> > compile haiku from svn. I use a linux box (ubuntu 6.04). I compiled and
> > installed jam and then compiled the cross build tools from haiku
> > directory. But when I try to compile haiku I got a lot of errors in the
> > includes. For example, if I move to src/apps/pulse and try to compile
> > just the pulse application I get the following errors:
> >
> > $ jam -q
>
> You only need to do a "jam -q haiku-image"

It seems you're right here. I was under the impression that, shortly after I
implemented the jam feature to make this possible
(http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/haiku?view=rev&rev=16345), I had introduced
that a jam invocation from the root, output, or "src/" directory with no
target given would default to target haiku-image. Apparently I didn't. 8-O

> jamming the whole tree isn't necessary, and I wouldn't be surprised if you
> get errors on some stuff that you don't need anyway. On the other hand, it
> looks like you're actually hitting errors in stuff you need :(

Yep, it fails building the first file for Haiku's libbe. Now that I look
closer jam seemed to have been invoked in a subsubdirectory of src/ for some
reason.

> ...patience...
> > ...patience...
> > <snip>
>

> I don't understand why jam is including the system libraries
> > from /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.0.3/../../../../include/c++/4.0.3.
> >
> > Any idea?
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
>

> Did you run configure again after building the cross-compile tools? If so,
> that would have reconfigured to use your linux compiler rather than the
> cross-compiler.

That sounds like a good explanation.

> Once you've done a "./configure --build-cross-tools <and whatever
> directory>" you will not need to run configure again - and should not.
>
> My suggestion is to re-build the cross tools if this is what has happened as
> that will re-create the proper BuildConfig as Ingo is referring to.

You don't even need to rebuild them. You can use the --cross-tools-prefix
option. The invocation should look similar to this one:

  ./configure --cross-tools-prefix generated/cross-tools/bin/i586-pc-beos-

CU, Ingo