[haiku] Re: Preinstalling Haiku on new computers.

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 09:41:57 -0700

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 9:04 AM, François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Haiku is getting updated several times per day, how do you plan to
>> > support > that?
>> Support our factory or end users?
>
> End user, that is how would you handle support requests from people
> using your hardware with Haiku ?

This is my major concern with any commercial entity pre-installing
Haiku on devices. Please don't pretend that Haiku is like Linux -
there currently is not a giant support community waiting to walk your
user-base through every nuance of Haiku.

If a company chooses to pre-install Haiku and isn't prepared to
support it, then I suspect it will generate a negative reaction. I'd
hate to see such a potentially-positive relationship turn sour as a
result.

Especially with Haiku in its pre-alpha state (or even alpha state for
that matter), I strongly encourage any company wishing to utilize it
commercially to be prepared to support it properly. Double-edged
swords can be tricky :)

- Urias