[openbeos] Re: Practical File System Design PDF distribution

  • From: "Jorge Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 14:25:37 -0700

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Cyan <cyanh256@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Dominic released it into public domain, AFAIK (it is available on
>> his site). And he is the author. But I don't know how legal or not
>> it is for us to have it on our site. We can just link it to his
>> site if that's a problem. :)
>
> If he definitely released it as Public Domain (PD), then there's
> nothing to worry about, as by doing so he relinquished all rights
> to the material.
>
> However the term "public domain" is often mis-used to mean "freely
> available but under copyright", in which case he (or the publisher)
> retains full legal control over any copying (a.k.a. distribution).
>
> So perhaps counter-intuitively, just because it's freely available
> online doesn't mean it can be re-posted without infringement.
> Linking to his site or obtaining permission to host it are the only
> safe ways to handle it.

As already stated by Dominc himself, he does have the right to
redistribute the PDF.

Whether that right extends to others still remains to be seen. I am
discussing this with Elsevier and Dominic is helping out clarify the
situation with them.

For now the file is off our server and linked to Dominic's webpage instead.

Jorge