[openbeos] Re: POSIX thread safety, was: Re: Waiting and waiting

  • From: "Frank D. Engel, Jr." <fde101@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 05:51:39 -0800 (PST)

I believe that a "reentrant" function is one which can be safely called
before a previous call to that same function completes.  This would
imply lack of self-modifying code, etc., and is more related to
recursion than thread safety.

For thread safety, you would still need to be reentrant, but you also
need to ensure that data structures are not accessed in such a way as
to corrupt them, or yield incorrect results.

--- Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 10 December 2002 11:51, you wrote:
> >
> > > The definition I read didn't say that a reentrant function has to
>
> > > return
> > > the same thing each time it's called with the same parameters.
> >
> > That would be "idempotent," not re-entrant.
>
> A function f: X -> X is called idempotent, if f * f = f. The above
> definition matches something like stateless deterministic, I would
> say.
>
> CU, Ingo

=====
=======