[openbeos] Re: Openness

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 18:34:49 +0200

Hi Axel,

Axel Dörfler wrote:
> Hi Jorge,
>
> "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> My entry to the admin group was NOT easy by any measure. As a matter
>> of
>> fact, only after I started the sort of heated debate that some are
>> chastising me for here did I get the attention of the admins. And
>> some
>> of the points that I made in the course of that debate even generated
>> some hostility towards me, so the "we welcome you with open arms as
>> long
>> as you want to do hard work" is not necessarily true.
>>

> That's not really how I perceived it, though. You were invited pretty
> quickly, and then the discussion started, because you wanted some clear
> set of rules to follow. Where you may have seen hostility, I only saw
> misunderstandings - and certainly not because you were new to the
> group.
>

> I don't think it was mere perception.
>
> I had to pass the "what is your problem?"...
>
> //www.freelists.org/archives/openbeos/08-2006/msg00174.html
>
> ...and "Jorge, stop pretending Haiku is something it isn't..." ...
>
> //www.freelists.org/archives/openbeos/08-2006/msg00176.html
>
> ...hostility tests, as well as the "we don't need just talk"...
>
> //www.freelists.org/archives/openbeos/08-2006/msg00173.html
>
> ...skepticism test.

This is just exceptional. When you first wrote you had a hard time to get on
the admin team, I really thought my memory is failing me, I really didn't
remember anything like that. I thought it was pretty baffling of you to twist
what happened to support your argument. I felt a bit bad because I didn't try
to dig anything up from back than, partly because I thought it would be
daunting and time consuming, but also because I didn't even know what to look
for, because I remembered no painful discussion about you becomming an admin.
But now you come with *this* as proof of your statements? What in the world is
going on?!? The last email you quote is from me. It is about *me* having made a
mistake and telling *you* how I am handling it. What has that got to do with
anything?!?

> For the devs who are the absolute and perhaps irreversible majority of
> the admin group, a democratic model may seem like a fair, ideal or
> acceptable mechanism they can work with. But for the only marketeer who
> always had all the odds against him, democracy just meant being less
> efficient and having to bear an excessive burden.

Yeah right, you "always had all the odds against" you. People agreed with you,
some didn't, others you convinced. At the time you left, I thought so much
about all this, but by now, I'm convinced it is simply an ego issue. Like
always when something like this happened. The true problem is that you are
incapable of compromise. Plus you cannot take critique. Same problem with
anyone else who left (just in case you bring that one up again as "argument").

> But since you bring up the issue of democracy, if you really wanted to
> make the admin group truly democratic, then the admins would have to be
> chosen by their constituents, that is, the community, and not between
> themselves. :)

Plain nonsense.

-Stephan