[openbeos] Re: Openness

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 18:20:59 +0200 CEST

"Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1) The members of the CURRENT admin list and their general roles
> there
> should be published. i.e "Michael Phipps, Project Administrator. Axel
> Dörfler, Lead Developer."

Apart from Michael Phipps being the project founder, there aren't any
clear roles in the group as such.

> 2) On the same page as the above the current general discussions
> and/or decisions in the making should be shown, along with estimated
> decision dates. i.e. "We are currently in discussion about Haiku
> distributions and the use of the name Haiku in such. We hope to have
> final decision by May 21st, 2007."

For important items like this, it makes sense, but for everything else
I think it's too much.

> 3) The general guidelines for how to get into the admin team should
> be
> published as well. This will vary based on the roles, for example
> "Developers will need to have been committing code for X months
> before
> being considered for the admin team. After applying to the admin team
> a vote by the current admin team will be used to decide whether the
> new developer will be added. Marketers will need some portfolio work
> to demonstrate their experience in this area. A vote will be used to
> decide if they should be added to the admin team." Etc.

I don't think it'll ever comes down to simple rules like that, but we
could at least try to describe the process better.

> 4) The Haiku, Inc board of directors should also be published. Like
> the admin team, their should be some guidelines as to how someone
> could join the BOD.
> 5) Someone should be chosen to help Michael with the Haiku, Inc
> financial management. Simon Porter volunteered, but maybe other
> "applications" should be taken before deciding.

Sounds all good.

> 6) Some consideration should be made NOW as to the direction of the
> project post R1. If this work has already been done by the admin team
> (in private), some of it should be published.

I'm not sure we can even decide now how we'll proceed after R1 is out.
As a matter of fact, most of what has been set for OpenBeOS when it was
founded didn't work well.
In the end, it always comes down to what the people involved prefer,
and if there is enough manpower (and will) to establish more formalisms
than there are now.
I'm sure there will be many changes, but this is a long process
(dictated by need rather than discussion) that won't happen over night.
It should be fun to work for Haiku, and it should stay that way, too.

Bye,
   Axel.