[openbeos] Re: Openness

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 13:13:19 +0200

On 2007-05-11 at 23:07:17 [+0200], "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)"
<koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ingo Weinhold wrote:
> > The unfortunate situation is that all people on the admin list are
> > developers, who aren't particularly intrigued by non-development tasks
> > and/or
> > don't have much time. For certain things noone feels responsible.
>
> I am glad to see that you are at least cognizant of the accountability
> issues in some areas of the project.
>
> Actually, I don't think it is unfortunate that the admin group is
> focused on development issues. That the developers are focused on the
> code is actually a good thing. :)

I don't find it unfortunate that the people in the admin group are
developers, but that they are (naturally) not really intrigued by
non-development tasks and/or don't have much time.

> I just think that it may be wise to re-position the admin group to what
> it does best: a decision-making body that deals with development, and to
> rename it accordingly.

As you should have noticed there is very little development related
decision making going on on the admin list, and, in actual fact, there's
very little needed. There's also very little reason to keep development
related discussions closed. There's simply no general development list
(respectively it existed only for a very short time).

> > The main
> > problem is actually that we lack a project manager. Someone who keeps
> > track
> > of important issues and ensures that they are addressed, who supervises
> > the
> > decision making process, moderates discussions, and motivates the right
> > people to do the things that need to be done.
> >

> I may be mistaken or it may be that I have misplaced expectations, but I
> thought that overseeing and setting the direction of Haiku was one the
> (most important) roles of Haiku Inc.

The current setup is supposed to work like this: The admin group makes
decisions and Haiku Inc. carries out the tasks related to it (e.g.
providing money). The Haiku Inc. BOD members are also members of the admin
group.

> Haiku Inc. holds copyrights and trademarks, and it also has ownership of
> the funds donated to the project. So even if there was a project
> manager, given that most of the issues that need to be addressed
> (trademarks, funding, advocacy, marketing, etc.) would deal with Haiku
> Inc. in one way or another, Haiku Inc. would be, for all practical
> purposes, the logical place for such an individual.

Moving the tasks that are not done to another entity doesn't solve the
actual problem, which is that the people doing those tasks are missing.

CU, Ingo