[openbeos] Re: OpenBeOS logo ?

  • From: "Andrew Gildehaus" <agildehaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 18:04:33 -0800

I'm a member of the Creative Team, so I'll answer this one.

I was never too keen on the "bee" idea.  The "Be" in BeOS never meant
the flying insect ... it was the "be" in "to be or not to be" and
nothing more.  Adding an extra "e" to suit the purpose of creating a
mascot or logo doesn't seem right.

The logo should represent the basic idea behind OpenBeOS.  Be's logo
was simply the word "Be" in blue and red, underlined.  It was simple
because that was the design goal of the operating system.  The OpenBeOS
logo needs ultra-simplicity with a little something added to represent
the fact that the BeOS community wouldn't let their little OS die.

I suspect we're not going to see a permanent logo or a mascot or
anything that helps sell the OS for a while.  I have been playing
around with a few ideas for a -temporary- logo as we work torwards R1
(something that represents rebuilding and reorganization) ... but what
I or anyone else on the Creative Team comes up with will not be
permanent because "rebuilding" doesn't represent our future goals with
OpenBeOS (and those goals are still being defined by Glass Elevator).

As for Steve's need for a t-shirt ... I'm sure when we have decided on
a logo for the development of R1 we'll setup shop at CafePress and you
can buy as many as you'd like :)

And as for a mailing list for this kind of talk ... I agree, one needs
to exist ... but currently one doesn't and since I was not appointed to
be the lead for this team I have no authority to set one up.  Heck, I
don't even know WHO the team lead is.  If someone could inform me I'd
appreciate it.

Go programmers, go!!  Your work is looking fantastic thus far!

Andrew Gildehaus