[openbeos] Re: OBOS new name

  • From: "Adam Baratz" <Adam_Baratz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 22:24:56 -0400

> >> Nova - an exploded star
> >
> >Nova means new.  A supernova is an exploded star. (e.g., Nova Scotia =
New
> >Scotland)
>
> A nova is an exploded star. Really. Look it up. (And I thought that my
college astronomy class would never be useful). ;-)

Dictionary.com claims it means "A new star, usually appearing suddenly,
shining for a brief period, and then sinking into obscurity. Such
appearances are supposed to result from cosmic collisions, as of a dark star
with interstellar nebulosities."  I don't like that "sinking into obscurity"
part.  It says a supernova is "a star that explodes and becomes extremely
luminous in the process."  Either way, I don't like the dying parts that
both names imply.

-Adam