[openbeos] Re: OBOS Terminal

  • From: Daniel Furrer <daniel_furrer@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 22:39:58 +0200

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for all this information. MYOB has alrady contacted me and told me that there
is an updated version somewhere around. (The text re-wrapping is an idea I like very much
and actually I was also thinking of this, but of course there are more important things first..)
As for the settings file: Is there any information about how the settings-file is stored available
or do I have to find out everything myself?

cya,
Daniel Furrer

Hello Daniel,

Both I and MYOB have been working on Terminal.  Unfortunately
I do not have much time to review his work recently so I simply
committed his work on adapting MuTerm for our purposes.  There
are still a number of outstanding issues:

1. the version in apps/terminal parses all the command line
  options but has no functionality.
2. the version in apps/terminal/MYOB parses some of the
 command line options
3. neither version respects the default settings file
4. there are still some menu functionality missing
5. the "partial delete of multi-byte characters" bug from R5
 still exists

In short, the MuTerm adaptation needs to get the command
line parsing from the existing terminal implementation.  All
of the above should be fixed for R1.  I should point out that
multiple encodings support _is required_ for R1 compatibility.

A feature that you could skip but one that I and MYOB were
both interested in is:

1. re-wrap text when the window is resized horizontally.

Two other potential R5 issues that you may end up addressing
are:

1. programs run from inside Terminal die and the shell doesn't
 return (this is possibly associated with dup/pipe/etc)
2. termcap compatibility issues (including handling escape
 sequences such as: echo -e "\E]-;$PWD\a" )

Since I am out right now please coordinate with MYOB on
what you want to do.

Andrew