[openbeos] Re: OBOS Poll: Multiple Monitor Support

  • From: Roman Stepanov <roman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:15:54 +0000

Jasse Jansson wrote:

On onsdag, januari 9, 2002, at 12:40 , Roman Stepanov wrote:

DarkWyrm wrote:

I've been thinking about R2 having multiple-monitor support, but I'm not exactly sure about what the interface should be. Be never reached

[ -=cut=- ]

like to know what the developer community thinks. Which seems to be the best idea, or is there a better solution?
--DarkWyrm
I think that stretching a single workplace to many monitors would be great for gamers (like me ;)) and having separate workplaces would be nice for delevopers and CAD/CAM apps. So both options implemented would be great!

Hmm, a game that runs in "widescreen" mode. Nice idea.
But there is at least one issue with that.
I assume that you will have one gfx card on the AGP bus, right.
There is only one AGP slot available i a computer.
That means that the other one has to use a PCI slot.
If/when obos will support 2/4x AGP bus speeds, you might
notice some artifacts on the monitor that runs the PCI card when
you try to run the game at high resolutions, lotsa colors and
even more bit/mip-maps that has to be moved across the
PCI bus. Eventually, you will choke the PCI bus while the
AGP bus will be as happy as ever. Got the idea???

I saw some motherboards with PCI64 slots, so I hope someday it will be possible to plug 3 or 4 GeForce/PCI64 cards into my brand new Pentium-5 box running OBOS ;))

The other solution is some high perfomance dual head cards but I don't know if 3D acceleration is possible for both heads simultaneously and independently...

--
WBR, Roman

Visquez EG (http://www.visquez.com)