[openbeos] Newsletter articles

  • From: "Daniel Reinhold" <danielr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:45:01 CDT

Hey all...

DarkWyrm is busy enough with coding chores, so I'm taking over
Newsletter editing duties, for now anyway. So send your newsletter
articles to:

danielre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Now...

The third newsletter is coming up this weekend. Let's submit some
articles gosh durnit! I'd like to see a wider participation in this
than we've had so far. The newsletter is not supposed to be the
'Michael Phipps Journal'. Don't get me wrong, Michael's articles are
well written and interesting. But we need to hear from other people
too.

I'm sure most of the developers who are actively researching/coding
have made all kinds of interesting observations along the way. Share
them!

For example, Ithamar made mention a few weeks back about discovering
that BeOS scripting was a good way to test and understand the Printing
protocol. That could be a good article. Erik has been fighting away
with BArchivable and has unleashed some interesting nuggets about the
internals of object instantiation and image loading. That could be a
good article.  Robert Medeiros has made comments in the past about his
hopes for the Game Kit. That could be a good article. Michael
Noisternig is a walking gold mine of information on assembler tricks
and kernel internals -- there's probably several good articles that
could be made from this. Marcus Overhagen has been battling away with
the mighty Media Kit and surely has a tale or two to tell.

No, I am not picking on the people above. These are just some examples
that pop into my head. I'm sure there are others.

Now, I'm sure some of you are thinking that writing an article might be
a lot of work. Some people are intimated with the idea of a "blank
piece of paper". But we all have to do writing all the time anyway --
documenting, communication, etc. So you can't escape it. So use
articles to your advantage. It can be a good experience. It can allow
you to stop, catch your breath, and take a look at what you've been
doing and where you're going. You can use it to summarize your work and
your thinking. I think you'll like the effect. And, of course, the rest
of the world would love to hear what you're doing.

Some people are under the impression that nothing is happening with
this project because the CVS repos is still relatively empty. But we
know otherwise. So let's tell 'em what we're doing!

Ok, end of bitch session/motivation speech

Later
peace
keep the faith
right on brother