[haiku] Re: Naming of current optional packages

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:18:25 -0500

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 14:28, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:13 PM, Urias McCullough
> <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 7:07 PM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Since wget is included, perhaps a script could be used to download and
>>> install at least the BezillaBrowser; it may not be easy to know what
>>> file to get though being that the filename changes with every update
>>> (unless they are kept in sync).
>>
>> Perhaps we can just create a standard URL which redirects to the
>> latest file - wget does follow redirects IIRC.
>
> That might be a good idea.
>
> I had suggested this same script idea as Jorge on the Haiku web-site
> forums to address the question about the lack of a web browser in the
> nightly builds.
>
> Another possibility is to make the script a bit smart and just parse
> out the latest BeZilla from the optional packages list. I just
> experimented and got something that works fairly well (on Linux, it
> should work on Haiku too):

For anyone not following the haiku-bugs ML, I implemented a script for
installing OptionalPackages.
    http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/4680
direct link;  http://dev.haiku-os.org/raw-attachment/ticket/4680/optpkgman.sh

This script will download and install the correct OptionalPackage,
based on the revision of Haiku being used, as well as the GCC type :
gcc2, gcc4,  gcc2 hybrid, gcc4 hybrid.

Creating symlinks is also supported.

Dependencies, as specified by the OptionalPackageDependencies file are
also installed.

Since some packages require compiled objects from the build system,
they cannot be installed after compile time.  The script prevents
those packages and any others that depend on them from being
installed.

The script is not a complete solution as a package manager.
It does not:
   * track files
   * check if an OP is already installed
   * remove OP's
   * allow updating to the newest OP.

The script needs to be run from Terminal,  `sh optpkgman.sh`

comments?

--mmadia