[haiku] Re: Naming of current optional packages

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:28:43 -0500

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:13 PM, Urias McCullough
<umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 7:07 PM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Since wget is included, perhaps a script could be used to download and
>> install at least the BezillaBrowser; it may not be easy to know what
>> file to get though being that the filename changes with every update
>> (unless they are kept in sync).
>
> Perhaps we can just create a standard URL which redirects to the
> latest file - wget does follow redirects IIRC.

That might be a good idea.

I had suggested this same script idea as Jorge on the Haiku web-site
forums to address the question about the lack of a web browser in the
nightly builds.

Another possibility is to make the script a bit smart and just parse
out the latest BeZilla from the optional packages list. I just
experimented and got something that works fairly well (on Linux, it
should work on Haiku too):

OPTIONAL_PACKAGE_BASE="http://haiku-files.org/files/optional-packages/";
LATEST_BEZILLA=`wget $OPTIONAL_PACKAGE_BASE -O - | grep BeZillaBrowser
| sed -e 's/.*alt="\(.*\.zip\)".*/\1/' | tail -1`
echo Would wget $OPTIONAL_PACKAGE_BASE$LATEST_BEZILLA

Obviously the last part would be replaced with an actual wget and
unzip operation. Plus some progress alerts to the user might be nice.
An addition of a grep gcc2 in the second line will get the latest gcc2
version. Of course this script relies on the optional packages being
sorted by date on the optional packages page, which they seem to be.

I could finish this script up and add it to Subversion and then Matt
or whoever could add it to the nightly builds (on the Desktop I
figure, maybe named DOUBLE CLICK THIS TO GET A WEB BROWSER.)

--
Regards,
Ryan