[haiku] Re: More Geolocation testing, this time with something prettier

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Stephan Assmus wrote:
>>
>> It worked great, but I still have a comment. :-) Maybe it would be better
>> not to display the "It looks like you are located in or near XXX" sentence.
>> It told me a city I never heard of before. While I am certainly near that
>> town, it's just a little irritation. The download links are correctly sorted
>> by distance, that's all that matters.
>
> I think I agree with Stephan here. It is cool to see when the script guesses
> your location right, but it must be a bit disconcerting when a different
> location is displayed.

Sure, I'm fine with that. It will also simplify the JavaScript code a bit.

In addition I was talking with Urias and I may also add some weighting
based on the speed of the mirrors. In other words if a mirror is
further away but has much higher bandwidth than the top choice, it may
be a better choice. I will try to do this without making it too
complicated or error prone.

>> My second suggestion is about the MD5 checksum. The page does not mention
>> how to check the MD5 checksum. In most shells, there is the md5sum command
>> line tool available, I don't know how to best put this into words, also
>> maybe there is an easy to use graphical tool for Linux or Windows users?
>> Maybe something like "for example by running the command line tool md5sum on
>> the downloaded file" is good enough.
>>

> I am pretty clueless in the area; if someone can provide specific content, I
> would be glad to add it to the page.

Here is my take:

If you are unsure that your download of Haiku completed successfully,
you can use the above MD5 checksums to verify that what you have is
the correct file. If you use Mac OS X or Linux you can use the md5sum
command from the Terminal to generate a checksum for your downloaded
file and verify against those above. If you are on Windows you can use
MD5summer (http://www.md5summer.org/download.html). The MD5summer site
also has md5sum.exe for Windows (http://www.md5summer.org/md5sum.zip)
which can be used from the Command Prompt.

--
Regards,
Ryan