[openbeos] Re: MeV. Abandonware or Showcase BeOS/Haiku native midi sequencer?

  • From: Al Elias <al@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 11:54:34 +0000

I think this thread may warrant dusting the cobwebs off the openbeos-midi list. We could resume a topic like this over there without it being considered off-topic.

Personally, I'm eager to contribute ideas suggestions...sheesh! even help out where I can in an effort to get all thing audio/midi in Haiku rolling along. My biggest frustration is not being able to code very well althouh I do, as mentioned earlier, have some experience with the InterfaceKit (albeit dormant).

I'm all for a centralized list/forum to generate forward momentum. A few commets on one board plus a few comments on another will usually always remain fragmented ideas which do not (imo) gain a critical mass.

Anyway, enough rambling, glad to hear you are still on-board Greg and I look forward to seeing updates to SqueekySynth and I'm eagerly awaiting development news on the sequencer.

Al

cyanh256@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi there,
I've been lurking here for the past 5 years or so, but this one
really warrants a de-lurking... =P

For the last couple of years, on and off, I've been working on
developing a new BeOS/Haiku-native MIDI sequencer. You can find
some more references to it here (in the talkback and the forum link):
http://www.bebits.com/app/4313

At present, no final code exists for the project, but that's mainly
because it's undergone many internal design changes and re-writes
over the years. As most of those problems are now solved, I expect
some actual forward progress in the next few months.

I did give some consideration to perhaps continuing MeV, but IMO
it's not really the kind of sequencer that I'd like to use in some
quite fundamental ways (e.g., the "tape clipping" editing approach,
the notion of separating tracks from their destinations, etc.).
I have to say though, that the visual appearance (apart from
the presence of floaters) is excellent -- very BeOS-ish, and I will
definitely be taking some inspiration from MeV in that regard.
However, I am planning something with much more emphasis
on single-window operation, perhaps with "tear-out tabs" to
create new windows if desired (a la Baxter --
http://www.bebits.com/app/88 )

Anyway, I won't ramble on any further -- it's kind of off-topic and
most of the design ideas I've detailed in the above-mentioned
talkback section and forum. If anyone's got any further thoughts
or input regarding the new sequencer, post a comment at one of
these locations, preferably the SqueekySynth talkback.
Any feedback would be very much appreciated!

- Cyan