[haiku] Re: Man

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Alex von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

Hi

> There is one fatal flaw in this logic, it's safe to assume on average most
> parties interested in Haiku now and in the future will be coming with at
> least a basic knowledge of the Linux/BSD world.  Generally straight Windows
> users that have never looked into Linux or BSD won't know or care about
> Haiku.
>
> Keep in mind also that Mac folks may also be future Haiku users... and
> last time I checked... OS X was based on UNIX (err Darwin, close enough).

So what you mean is that because some people are going to come from a UNIX
background that UNIX should be recreated for them ? Why don't they just keep
on using their UNIX-like OS ? I remember when I came from DOS/Windows to
Linux there where many things I had to adapt to like using '/' instead of
'\' for example, or 'hdaX' instead of 'C:'. And people who want to use Haiku
will have to adapt as well, and not expect to find what they are accustomed
to. Because I think Haiku aims to be different and to attract people with no
technical skills. Let's not make another developer/geek-centric OS, there's
already Linux for that.

> What are examples for using ifconfig?, How do you use dd? How to you use
> installoptionalpackage?  For command line applications, using man is way
> simpler.  I really don't want to pull up a web browser, open the
> documentation, and perform some Javascript search for 100 references to the
> command in question... I'd rather just ' man ifconfig ', 'man dd', 'man
> installoptionalpacakge'.

Not using the man/nroff system doesn't mean that you can't type 'man
ifconfig' from the command line and get that just as quick in a WebPositive
window (or if you choose directly in the terminal itself with a from a text
mode web browser).

> While Haiku is designed to present the end user with a pretty and
> functional UI, you can't ignore that it is compiled with GCC and offers the
> powerful bash shell environment.

Would it make any difference if it was compiled with clang ?

> One final argument for including man:
>
>  alex@HOUXX:~$ ls -alh /usr/bin/man
>  -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 161K 2010-03-02 04:31 /usr/bin/man

I'm more afraid about that :

$ cd /usr/share/man
$ du -m .
[...]
46 .
$ grep "UNCOMPRESSED PACKAGE SIZE" /var/log/packages/groff*
UNCOMPRESSED PACKAGE SIZE:     8050K

(mandoc is smaller I think though)

>  Is it really worth it to lose an application which is de-facto standard
> on bash environments to save 160K?

Well for example BeOS has 'bash' too and no manual pages :) Lack of man
pages didn't prevent people from loving BeOS.

>    160K is well below the famous bill gates quote circa 1981 "640k should
> be more than enough (memory) for anybody." :)

:D

--Alex