[haiku] Re: Man

  • From: Kevin Ar18 <kevinar18@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 19:54:21 -0400

> > Any arguments against html as our documentation format?
>
> I agree that a package should not provide documentation in a format
> that the system doesn't know how to handle. However, I think there
> might be a more elegant way to solve the problem.
>
> We could come up with a generic format for manual information (be it
> based on XML, YAML, JSON, or whatever). All utilities and packages
> would distribute their documentation using this format. When the user
> wants to view the documentation, their documentation viewer of choice
> (man, info, etc) uses the Translation Kit to load a translator that
> converts the Haiku-formatted manual file into the appropriate format
> for that application. When the user installs the optional package for

Apart from the obvious html, there are also some "lighter" styles for
documentation:
Example Trac (wiki-style): http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/WikiFormatting
Sphynx (wiki-style + docs generated from the code):
http://sphinx.pocoo.org/contents.html

I just thought I would mention that.  Maybe a "lighter" syntax would be a
useful for writing Haiku documentation at some point (and then convert/style to
the different formats: man, html, etc...)