[haiku] Re: Mailing list etiquette and phones

  • From: Ben Allen <ben.allen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 13:43:09 -0500

I don't think he was arguing againt mailing list rules, just stating that
failure to follow those rules might not be a strong enough reason to avoid
adding a good idea to a discussion.

On a related note, does this mailing list live on a server under our
control?  I imagine that some of these breaches of etiquette (i.e.
top-posting and quoting an entire thread in a reply) could be fixed via a
server-side script.

-Ben
Posted from an unconfigurable Android phone (sorry)

On Jun 2, 2010 5:02 AM, "Alexandre Deckner" <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Justin Stressman wrote:

> Maybe it's just me... but I think it's a bit overdoing it to put maili...
Well the problem is that people think those rules are here just to annoy
people about aesthetics when  it's precisely about "valid communication", or
how to make a discussion followable by someone else than it's own authors.
Mailing lists are a particular medium, how are you supposed to understand
and make a "valid communication" if people alternatively put their replies
on top and below, and without only quoting the sentences they are replying
to. It's also a question of respect to all the other readers and writers.
When we need to repeat 3 times a week about those rules, it just shows that
some people only care about their own posts and never even read posts from
others (that might concern them), in other words, using the ml just like a
private channel or some sort of impulsive microblogging.

Also i don't understand why some find the time to complain about rules that
are can't be easier to understand, and if not, have absolutely no
inconveniences and cost nothing to comply to.

Regards,
Alex