[openbeos] Re: Larger Disk for VMWare Image

  • From: Brian Matzon <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 08:34:19 +0100

Truls Becken wrote:
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:54 PM, Brian Matzon <brian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Urias McCullough wrote:

 > What you *can* do is take another VMDK, partition it with whatever
 > tool you desire to whatever size you desire, and mount it as a second
 > "disk" in the VMX file. You can then use the Haiku DriveSetup to
 > initialize it as BFS and use it to store "extra" stuff on. You can
 > then mount it as a second disk any time you get a new Haiku VMDK from
 > haiku-files.org or wherever. You could maybe even copy the contents of
 > the Haiku vmdk to the newly created one in an attempt to create a
 > single larger Haiku boot partition.

 I tried mounting the bigger disk and copying files over, but I couldn't
 make it bootable (and I am not sure that symlinks etc were retained).

The copying trick is possible. In my experience, you need to copy
everything except home and the content of home in two different steps
because that directory is special. I don't know if this is still the
case. Then you need to use makebootable.
ok, I think I will look into this, since this makes it possible to upgrade to latest release without disturbing my environment.

/matzon