[openbeos] Re: Just one, big question, seriously

  • From: Michael Noisternig <michael.noisternig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 16:31:09 +0200

Chuck \"PUP\" Payne wrote:

Point taken, just I want to point out than Linus used Minux for a while and
not ATT Unix. You know it so funny that people harp on mistake and not
answer questions what is everyone afraid of...

And it is still Minix, not Minux...

This was the point of my e-mail....

So me being one of the end users
that will install R1 and play with it, what can I look for that will be
different from BeOS 5.03? I know you guys are taking the core of Be and
making it better, but will make me dance with joy?

As stated again and again, the goal of OpenBeOS' first version is to recreate BeOS, so it will basically do the same and look just the same as BeOS 5.03. The difference lies in what you can't see - the "feel" of the GUI, the performance (in general), the (real and perceived) latentcy... hopefully these will be comparable to the original BeOS.
Anyway, any features like the networking you want to see come *after* the initial version.

I really want to know what is going to be so cool about OpenBeOS R1? So far as I stated I have seen BlueOS which I guess is a Be like OS and AtheOS, which I am not use what they are doing. So what is OpenBeOS got on these?

Cool? We are re-creating BeOS. If you think all what an OS makes is it's GUI then you might as well switch to BlueOS or Linux or stay with Windows (although you can't change your theme on that). The GUI is seen as an essential component of the OS today, but it is *not* the OS by itself - that's the kernel. And OpenBeOS builds on the NewOS kernel (and not on the Linux or AtheOS one) so we are all hoping to achieve about the same performance and low latentcy level and the flexibility (speak modular design - somewhat at least) as the BeOS kernel.

[It starts to make me sick if people only think about the GUI if they speak and argue about an OS.]

I am not against stop OpenBeOS, Just I like to be able to know what it has
over others.

Chuck

Michael

on 4/1/02 7:30 AM, Frank D. Engel, Jr. at fde101@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Anyway, to clear up a point. Linus base linux on Minux, not Unix.

Uhh....

Linux was INSPIRED by Minix, but not neccessarily BASED ON Minix.

It has a very different purpose and intent.

===== ======= Frank D. Engel, Jr. Please note my new address: fde101@xxxxxxxxx

http://greetings.yahoo.com/