[openbeos] Re: Just one, big question, seriously

  • From: "Andrew Gildehaus" <agildehaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 21:35:05 -0600

> Why exactly are we trying to re-create BeOS, sure, it was great, but it
> also had many problems, such as networking, OpenGL, and such....
>
> Instead, we should be going on with a new OS, with new cutting edge
> features and ideas, and for application support, have a sort of
> compatibility layer, or subsystem, if you will, for R5.
>
> Yes, it would have been great if Palm had released the BeOS source, but
> they didn't, and I think it's time to move on, not try to re-create the
> past.
>
> By the way, this is a serious question, not trying to nock the OBOS
> movement or anything, so please, no flamming.

It had many problems, yes, but problems we are trying to fix in the
development of R1.  Many people here, including myself, believe that BeOS
already had these cutting edge features that you speak of ... at least when
you consider what the other OSes available for x86 have been doing.

As for the future, we are planning ahead:
http://glasselevator.sourceforge.net