[openbeos] Re: Javascript-capable Browser

  • From: DarkWyrm <bpmagic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 08:18:32 -0500

>I feel I have to disagree on the BeZilla thing here. Obviously OBOS
>needs a good web browser to be competetative. Having a high quality
>port of Mozilla would defenitly be A Good Thing, since it is standard
>(well... more standard than Net+ anyway) , standards-compliant, and
>well maintained.
<snip>
>We need to find a web browser project that aims for this. AFAIK, the
>only one that comes even close is NetOptimist, but I'm not sure about
>how development is going.
I agree. Mozilla is in the process of being a Good Thing, but I also think
it's big and oafly. Procton mentioned that he was in process of porting the
AthOS port of Konqueror, ABrowse, to BeOS. If we want a native browser,
NetOptimist seems to be a reasonable thought, but if we want a browser
quickly, perhaps finishing the port wouldn't be a bad idea.

>Also, I seem to remember having a 3.03b or something version of Net+,
>that actually supported JavaScript. Anyone knows what happened to this=3F
>Lost in the BeIA dungeons=3F
It's still floating around, but it was buggy and crashed a fair bit. I wasn't
impressed.

--DarkWyrm