[openbeos] Re: Installing Haiku onto Partition; Missed Step?

  • From: "Ben Allen" <ben.allen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 13:50:44 -0600

Since the project is still in an alpha state, an install CD is a bit
premature as it would falsely give the impression that Haiku is complete and
ready to be installed and used by people other than devs and testers (plus,
the installer isn't complete IIRC).  (see mailing list archives for numerous
other conversations on this topic)

I know what you are thinking though, and there is a way to install Haiku to
"real" hardware even if you don't have a Linux or BeOS partition on the
machine.  I'd mess it up if I tried to explain it myself, so I'll defer to
kvdman's description of the process on the Haiku forums :
http://haiku-os.org/community/forum/the_easy_way_to_install_haiku
Essentially, all you'll need is a BeOS Max install CD, a Haiku image on your
hard disk, and an empty partition.  Also, be aware that if the BeOS Max CD
has problems booting on your hardware, you may need to make a boot floppy,
which can most easily be done here :
http://mmadia.zelect.org/files/boot_archive/

HTH,
Ben

On 2/4/07, Shaka <shaka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

For now, couldn't we create an install CD like all these BeOS variants
use (BeOS Max, Wind etc...)?