[openbeos] Re: Init scripts

  • From: Fred K Ollinger <follinge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 15:21:10 -0400 (EDT)

> This sounds reasonable. One that I can think of off-hand if the Macromedia
> Flash plug-in for BeOS. There is a required plug-in server that is put in
> the startup scripts if requested. If the scripts are re-designed, it needs
> to be that if Joe Web-Surfer tries to install this in the start-up scripts
> that it won't break anything. I'm not sure how to go about doing anything
> about this, but it is a thought.

Thanks for being specific. Makes things easier.

One way to do it is to take script, then install macromedia. Then do a
diff on old init and new init. Now we know what changed. Now find what
macromedia looks for when it installs itself and keep that there, but
change other parts to make things more compatible.

In fact, things can change radically, and the macromedia player might
still work if this is thought of ahead of time. Anyone know anything else
that would break if scripts were "improved"? I'm guessing that since newos
is going to be the kernel, then things are going to have to change anyway
even if the krusty, hard-to-configure script model is used.

I could be wrong about this.

Fred