[openbeos] Re: Init scripts

  • From: Achim Schneider <batchall@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 21:01:17 +0200

On Tue, 14 May 2002 20:02:10 CEST (+0200)
"Axel Dörfler"  <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What's missing from the bootscript that a standard user would need??
> IMHO the bootscript is nice and simple, and does exactly what's
> needed.

I remember someone saying (or rather reading about it)... can't find the
quote. It has something to do with Telephones and nobody needing them...

The first thing is: Concentrating only on the user is a bad thing. Users
don't write apps. A system has to have a certain sex appeal so that J.
Random Hacker feels comfortable with it. I wouldn't rely on some company
to write the apps. I certainly don't want another GeekOS or LamerOS...
it should be the "One size fits all OS". (OsfaOS... not the worst one)

Second: The bootscripts are obsolete. They are unflexible. It's a mess
to change the configuration automatically. It will hardly break anything
(the only situation that comes to my mind is some crappy installation
procedure which messes with the scripts) if they are changed.

Init scripts -- apart from bringing the system to a useable state --
manage the system's daemons (or servers, in this case). This could be
quite easily be extended to apps, like managing different work
Scenarios. It could even be used to add profiles to a Single-User OS:
when the System starts, the user is asked about his identity, then /home
is replaced with a link to the real homedir, and his favorite programs
are started. Logging out simply changes the system's runlevel back to
the starting point. (Yep, that doesn't only sound like Win95, I know).

--
  (o_ W                 Achim Schneider                   W _o)
  //\_|      kernseife@xxxxxxx   batchall@xxxxxxxxx       |_/\\