[openbeos] Re: Init scripts

On Wed, 15 May 2002 03:38:31 CEST (+0200)
"Axel Dörfler"  <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > it should be the "One size fits all OS". (OsfaOS... not the worst
> > one)
>
> And?:-)

I know that the bootscripts are not equivalent to a kick in the crotch,
but these things easily sum up.

> > Init scripts -- apart from bringing the system to a useable state --
>
> Please don't start this script hell unix config stuff in BeOS - it's
> meant to be a clean OS.

Well, in this case we have another interpretation of "clean".

> I consider myself as a power-user, and I didn't have to change
> anything in there, I will never ever consider runlevels to be useful,
> etc. OpenBeOS is not going to be a server OS where this stuff makes
> sense, at least not in the beginning.
> If you can only live with runlevels, then change your scripts, make
> them available to everyone who wants them and keep it that way - IMHO;

Pseudo-Multiuser is a good argument against that, exspessialy because of
the low risk.

> that may sound offensive but I so don't like complexity in places
> where it's just not needed at all.

I'd rather not stick to simplicity where things can be done more
flexible (and clean) without much expense.

> The bootscript in unflexible? And? It boots the OS, that's all what it
> should do (besides that user baron thing François mentioned ;-).

One could also think of something like an init_server, which would do
all the switching... Managing different app setups and things like that.
R1 may be too early for that; I'll be coming back on thursday with a
fixed design and better arguments...

--
  (o_ W                 Achim Schneider                   W _o)
  //\_|      kernseife@xxxxxxx   batchall@xxxxxxxxx       |_/\\