[haiku] If Haikuware is gone...

  • From: Luposian <luposian@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 18:11:06 -0700

We, as a community, MUST figure out how to prevent a sudden,
"disappeared-off-the-face-of-the-earth" situation like this.

 I think having all the eggs in one basket, while extremely convenient, also
allows events like this to occur. And, if there are/were apps that we wanted to
get?  Too late, now.  No way of knowing when (or if) we'll ever see them again.

The fact there was no warning, whatsoever, tends to make one wonder just what,
exactly, happened.  Massive power outage?  DDoS attack?  Did the NSA/FBI/CIA
confiscate the site, because Karl is actually a radical Muslim spy?  Or... one
dare not even think this thought, but... was a HUGE bounty given, and Karl took
the money and ran?  Anything is possible, but until someone "in the know"
actually speaks up, we WON'T know.

I think we need to also have a level of quality for Haiku software submitted,
that keeps track of what runs and what doesn't, on what revision(s) of Haiku.
Setting the standard of "only the last official Alpha", allows for far too many
apps to break between nightly revisions that span the huge gulf between
official Alphas.

Redundancy would have prevented this incident from happening. I assume mirrors
would prevent this from happening. Or maybe just sites with links to every
developer and each dev maintains their own software quality control.  That way,
if one dev's site goes down, it doesn't throw everything into a black hole.

Just some various thoughts...

Sent from my iPhone 4S.