[openbeos] Re: Icon Artwork

  • From: Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 00:46:55 -0400

Charlie Clark wrote:

Use of the artwork would never have been granted to any competing products which is essentially what Haiku is. Even if Be was very liberal in its use policy that does not in anyway mean that subsequent trademark owners have to follow the same policy. It is quite possible that Access as trademark holders may respond favourably to a request to use the artwork. Anyone who does wish to use the artwork should definitely contact a lawyer in advance. But to be honest the icons are very much 1998 and there is nothing wrong with updating them both to be more modern but also more in tune with the rest of Haiku.

I agree with Charlie, here, on a number of fronts. Artwork falls under the same sorts of copyright laws as code, writing, etc. It is automatically copyrighted for a longer duration than we will ever care about. The right to reuse that artwork rests either with Palm or Access (since I haven't read the agreement between them, I don't know).

But, honestly, much like Be's code, I wouldn't really want to reuse those icons if we could. They were very cool in 2000. I honestly believe that this community can do better, in a loving nod sort of way. Much like the name "Haiku" is a loving nod...