[openbeos] Re: Icon Artwork

On 28/07/06, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

I don't remember the arguments for that, maybe these posts date back to
before I joined the project? If there are some arguments why we can safely
use the original BeOS icons, could someone point me to that discussion? All
I know is that I have brought this up at IRC meetings and the general
agreement was that we had to design our own icons, IIRC.

Be had some arrangement to let you use the icons freely, IIRC, but I believe
an email either to or from Be was required to do so. Someone with a dump of
be.com from 1999/2000 could check for sure; but until someone with both EU
and US legal knowledge has had a look at said agreement, using them is
dodgy.

> Will the icons still be limited to the 8-bit system palette?

Obviously not. Where would be the point in that?

Those of us who have at times been stuck with 8 bit (as I was on my Vaio
until its HDD controller died) have been quite appreciative of BeOS R5's
8-bit compatible UI and icons. There aren't many of us, though,

Cian/Kian/MYOB

--
"We're busy running out of time"