[openbeos] Re: Icon Artwork

Hi Jonas,

I agree with what you have said about the "current theme" and "meta"
mimetypes.

> The only drawback I see is the icon size being fixed. :P
> Perhaps Stippis new "vectopia" will make that less of
> a problem? ´:) Anyway. Just an idea.

Well I intend to solve it this way: Since the application gives you a BBitmap
to draw the icon into, it becomes quite easy to support scalable icons. The
application should be expected to give you the bitmap in the size it wants,
simple as that. For this first step, it will not be possible for the
application to get at the actual vector data, but scalable icons per se would
be supported. So all current applications, which pass a B_CMAP8 bitmap, keep
getting this version (possibly a dithered vector icon, possibly a normal BeOS
icon), but in any new application, you can try to request a B_RGBA32 bitmap
of any size you like, if you're actually running on Haiku, you get what you
asked for, if not, the call returns with an error, and you can try again with
the plain old B_CMAP8 version. Actually this is what I thought how yellowTAB
would have implemented it, but disappointingly not so (I never got around
looking up what new API they have introduced for getting the SVG icon, and
they never cared to support old applications with a dithered version of any
SVG icon). I never understood why they didn't go with this simple and fully
compatible solution. If anyone knows, please speak up... :-) Anyways, with
Haiku, I'm sure we will go the extra steps to make for a smooth transition
towards vector icons.

Best regards,
-Stephan