[openbeos] Re: I2O

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 13:06:05 -0500

>Yeah ! I really hope we get this in the "legacy free" PCs that are comming
>up... the rest of this concept is plain BS anyway (no centronics... and even
>NO SERIAL ! This is unadmitable ! The funniest part is they will develop
>a new debug port to replace the unvaluable serial port they want to remove...

FWIW, I like the concept. I sketched out just such a machine a couple of years
back.
Only USB and IDE (and video) connectors. USB in the bios will easily allow you
do the same things that a serial port will. This debug port does sound like a
bad idea.

>Did I say hardware engineers are braindead ?)
>(at least getting rid of ISA is understandable... even if I don't see myself
>engraving 4 layer PCI boards for fun... ISA was still quite doable in 2 layers)
>"About missuse of technology" :-(

If you don't want to do PCI, USB is very fast and you can build the PCB any way
that you want.