[haiku] Re: How Haiku makes decisions

  • From: Alex von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 23:50:22 -0500

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 19:08:55 +0200, Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 1 September 2010 17:14,  <hudsonco1@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I would like to make an observation and a recommendation about how
Haiku
>> makes decisions.
>
> I would like to initiate a vote to close this topic for discussion.
> :-) Seriously, there already is a voting process right now.

+1

See? We do have a voting process :)

As others have said... this is not a democracy, this is an open source
project.
http://www.osnews.com/story/23039/Kicking_in_Open_Doors_Open_Source_Is_Not_a_Democracy

If you want to carry voting weight, there are a few simple steps:

1) Be a positive contributor to the community, assist users in irc,etc.
2) Report bugs while not opening duplicates in Trac
3) Produce patches and submit them to Trac
4) Gain commit access due to the quality of the patches in step 3
5) Profit.

The steps above are time tested and work well.

Example:
Just because I and a small handful of users want vi included, doesn't mean
that the contributors will agree with me.
The developers who have put blood, sweat, and tears into the Haiku source
code carry their personal vote with good reason... Who am I to demand
something from them that I am not compensating them directly for?

The information above doesn't mean users and developers don't have voting
power... this is a free ecosystem and everyone is more then welcome to
influence committers with good arguments of reason. You just can't tell
developers what they 'should' do and expect to have it done if they don't
like the idea.

-- Alex