[openbeos] Re: Hmm...

  • From: "Marcus Overhagen" <dos4gw@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 18:02:13 -0700

On Sat, 18 Aug 2001 05:03:37 PM, "procton" <linalm-7@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Why is it necessary to recreate BeOS?

Because BeOS does not run on a P4
Because open source developers are not interested in writing drivers for a
closed source os

>We have a beautiful kernel, although we do not have the
>code for it, does not mean that we can not use it.
No, you can use BeOS R5 currently, but the problem is that it doesn't get
better, it gets older.

>The thing we have to do for starters is replacing the
>net_server. That should not be impossible, and all i want
>in the beginning is stability. The stability of the current
>net_server is, well... bad.
I don't agree. If you replace net_server, you will have better networking with
BeOS.
nothing more. And you most probably need to modify the kernel to replace
net_server.
You will need to replace libnet.so anyway, and most likely other functions
contained in
libroot.so or libbe.so (like select()).

>After that we can start to move on.
We should think about what needs to be done very hard. I don't sink it will be
wise
to start coding without having a decent concept and plan how to achive total
world
domination in only six month.

>I think this should work to keep BeOS alive, but you seem
BeOS is still alive, people are still using it.

>to want to create a open-source version of BeOS, which
>I think is not that nice of an idea. I have nothing against
I think it is the best idea. This might be the future.

>creating another open-source OS, but I do not think we should
>base that upon BeOS. BeOS is nice, but it is far from perfection.
There are enough other open source OS projects out there.
I think we need a BeOS open source OS, that looks like BeOS,
feels like BeOS, and is like BeOS, so you can run your BeOS apps.
If you create a new open source OS, this will most likely end like other
any open source OS. atheos for example. There is no user base.

Creating a BeOS open source OS might be the change every BeOS
is awaiting.

regards
Marcus