[openbeos] Re: Hi from the PetrOS camp.

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, [ISO-8859-1] Fran=E7ois Revol wrote:

>=20
> Trumpet ?
> The same as in Trumpet Winsock, the first TCP/IP stack for Windows 3.0,
> before M$ stole it and claimed they brought TCP/IP to the Windows family =
?
> I think it was a pretty solid networking stack (for a cooperative multita=
sking=20
> OS metaphore, that is).

Yes, the same Trumpet.  Just to set the story straight, that's an urban leg=
end
about MS stealing our stuff though. =20

The real story is at the time (around 1993-1994) there were several winsock=
for Windows 3.x. We did one that ran a lot faster than the rest, but still
basically a 16 bit DLL.  At around the same time there was a free winsock t=
hat
ran as a VxD direct to NDIS that was a direct port of the BSD stack which
creamed the whole crop. It disappeared from view sometime in around 94/95 &
then MS's appeared. There is a chance that this is the same one - noone rea=
lly
knows, but it certainly wasn't ours as far as we know.   If ever an urban
legend coudl grow, it could be about that one.  I wonder how much of the BS=
stack the MS one had in it considered just about every stack had BSD code
except for ours which was from the ground up.

>=20
> > (Trumpet Software) would get out of such an endeavor. A licensing deal,
> > >Peter R. Tattam                            peter@xxxxxxxxxxx
> > >Managing Director,    Trumpet Software International Pty Ltd
> > >Hobart, Australia,  Ph. +61-3-6245-0220,  Fax +61-3-62450210
>=20
>=20
>=20

Peter